Sorry, the application date for the fund has now passed.
Our Diversity and Financial Aid fund (which has been made possible with the help of all of our sponsors) is open to anyone based in New Zealand who would like to attend the conference but wouldn’t normally be able to. In particular (but not exclusively) we are keen to reach out to under-represented groups in tech (women, indigenous, PoC, LGBTIQ folks) with assistance to help broaden the diversity of conference attendees.
On a personal note, as a woman in the tech industry, I have more than once heard comments from women colleagues expressing their doubt that they are worthy of being recipients of programs such as this. So just to make it super clear: If you would like to attend the conference but you don’t think that you can for financial reasons, then the financial aid fund is explicitly for you. We won’t necessarily be able to help every applicant purely for budgetary reasons, but please do apply.
— Jen, conference director
How does it work
- First, you need to fill out our short form: Apply for financial aid
- We will periodically approve batches of applications. The final set of approvals will be on the 12th of June, and we will contact those approved and work through the details of the assistance they need. Please note that in some cases the applicant will need to book something themselves, and then will be reimbursed by the fund.
We use the following criteria to help us decide who gets approved:
- We are biased towards (but not exclusively for) diverse applicants (hence the name of the fund).
- We will do our best to support any speakers or volunteers who apply.
- We do some cost efficiency maximisation where feasible.